Our Language Course
Our aim is to develop students’ fluency skills and build their confidence in a friendly, supportive and stimulating environment. Our in-house syllabus is based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) and we can accommodate all levels from Beginners (A1) to Advanced (C2).
To enhance the language learning experience we include the Trinity College London Graded Examinations in Spoken English (GESE) in the package price. Exam preparation is integrated into our syllabus and all students take the exam towards the end of their study holiday. (N.B. Trinity Exam is not included for students staying less than 2 weeks or on Inspiration English.)
Our General English junior summer language course includes:
- Oral and written placement test to select class level and provide initial assessment for the Trinity GESE
- 15 hours of General English language tuition per week (20 lessons per week. Each lesson is 45 minutes)
- Trinity College London Graded Exam in Spoken English (GESE)
- Optional Enterprise English Workshops
- Maximum 15 students per class *
- Student placement and syllabuses based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- All learning materials, notebook, folder and souvenir Activity Book
- End-of-course certificate awarded upon completion of the course
- For successful candidates the Trinity GESE certificate will be sent approximately 8 weeks after departure
- Morning and afternoon teaching timetable operates in peak weeks. Students alternate weekly between morning classes and afternoon classes *
- Class times are usually 09:00-12:30 and 14:00-17:30. Exact times of classes may vary dependent on campus *
- * Except Hatfield & Wembely where lessons are in the mornings only and there is a maximum of 18 students per class
Optional Enterprise English Workshops (All locations)
- Business minded students can choose 3 or 6 hours per week of Enterprise English on top of their 15 hrs per week general English course
- 3 hrs per week available in all locations. A choice of either 3 hrs or 6 hrs per week is available in Hull and Hatfield.
- Enterprise English Workshops are taught by teachers and cover job interview skills, CV & cover letter writing, work based role plays etc.
- Enterprise English Workshops take place instead of a local visit or sports on campus
- Ages 14 – 18, minimum A2. English level is required.
- Work place visits to local companies will also be organised in Hull as part of the Enterprise English programme
- Enterprise English must be booked in advance (before arrival)
Inspiration English Course (Lincoln & Liverpool)
- An innovative new 2 week course of 30 hours which students can choose instead of our General English course
- Available in Lincoln & Liverpool
- Start dates: 30/06/2019 and 14/07/2019
- Ages 14 – 18, minimum English level B1 is required for this course.
- This course is a journey of discovery for creative students who wish to improve their English, network with like-minded peers and work on their own original genre study portfolio project (written or digital) while documenting their creative process. Students will gain a deeper understanding of English connected to culture and the arts and will create their own portfolio of work.
- Learning Outcomes will vary but the concept of this course is for students to create their own digital portfolio. This can include their own series of original poems, a short story, a drama script, an art genre study, original artwork, photography or whatever creative genre they are interested in which is connected to the Arts. Lessons will include language and terms focused on the topic
- Trinity GESE Exam not included in Inspiration English course
- Inspiration English must be booked in advance (before arrival) and is subject to availability. (Minimum of 10 students required to run this course)
Our Academic Team
All Target English teachers and other academic staff are recruited in line with British Council guidelines. Teachers are supported in each campus by the Director of Studies, who is responsible for managing the academic programme in their centre. The Director of Studies job includes managing testing & timetabling, co-ordinating the Trinity Exam, offering support and guidance to teachers, managing the resources and ensuring the British Council criteria on teaching & learning are met.
Each Director of Studies and their team of teachers is supported by one of our Area Academic Managers who will make regular visits to the centre during the summer. The Area Academic Manager is responsible for observing all teachers in the classroom and providing feedback and professional development as required.
Overseeing all of our centres and academic staff is our senior Academic Manager who is responsible for syllabus and materials development and ensuring consistently high standards of provision across all of our centres,
In line with safer recruitment for roles involving responsibility for, or substantial access to, under 18s, all gaps in employment history must be explained, satisfactory references will be requested and followed up on, and all staff will undergo appropriate safeguarding and background checks (Enhanced DBS check or overseas equivalent).
All students on our General English course have the opportunity to take the Trinity GESE (Graded Exam in Spoken English) during their stay with us, usually in the last week of their course. (N.B. Trinity Exam is not included for students staying less than 2 weeks or on Inspiration English.)
- The exam tests students’ ability in listening and speaking.
- It is a one-to-one oral exam with a native English-speaking examiner
- There are 12 grades available from pre-A1 to C2 CEFR level, so there is a grade to suit every candidate
- The exam lasts between 5 – 25 minutes depending on the grade
- Exam preparation is integrated into our syllabus to ensure that all students are thoroughly prepared.
- In 2017 our students achieved a 99% pass rate
- Exam preparation focuses on the development of communicative skills and building confidence among candidates
- Trinity GESE is an internationally recognised certificate in English language competency. It can support people wishing to develop their proficiency in English language speaking for personal goals, study, travel, employment, visa or resettlement
- Successful candidates will receive an official Trinity College London certificate. These are usually sent out to the successful candidate approximately 8 weeks after departure
|Grades 1-3||Grades 4-6||Grades 7-9||Grades 10-12|
|5–7 minutes||10 minutes||15 minutes||25 minutes|
|Topic discussion||Interactive task||Listening task|